There's nothing better than Pickling your own Onions and we have some fantastic Pickling Spice to make yours. They have a lovely taste with the slight warming from the Mustard and Chilli but not too much – Perfect!
- 4 tsp Pickling Spice
- 1kg Pickling Onions
- 35 fl oz /1 litre Malt Vinegar
- 6 oz / 170g Sugar
- 1 oz / 27g Fine Sea Salt
- Top and tail your Onions, put in a bowl and cover the Onions with boiling water, leave to cool and peel easily.
- Pat the Onions dry, sprinkle with Salt and leave overnight, no longer though or your Onions will not be crispy.
- Wash your Onions the next day and pat dry.
- Put the Vinegar, Spices and Sugar into a pan, heat to just before boiling point, stirring to dissolve the Sugar.
- Put the Onions into sterilized jars and top up with the Vinegar and Spices equally if using more than one jar, check to make sure there are no air pockets and seal.
- The Onions will be ready to eat in a month but the longer you leave them the better they get. (We left ours for 2 months and they were perfect)