Don’t buy your Christmas cake, use our easy to follow recipe for this delicious Fruit Cake.
- 1kg Mixed Dried Fruit
- 200g Glace Cherries chopped
- 75g Flaked Almonds
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 350g Plain Flour – sifted
- 275g Butter or Margarine
- 275g Soft Brown Sugar
- 5 beaten Eggs
- 2 tbsp Brandy
- Prepare the Cake tin by greasing and lining with a double layer of grease proof paper. Place a double layer of brown paper around the tin and tie with string. We used a deep 8″ (20cm tin).
- Mix the Dried Fruit with the chopped Glace Cherries and Flaked Almonds.
- Cream together the Butter and Sugar until pale.
- Gradually beat in the Eggs a little at a time.
- Using a metal spoon, fold in the sifted Flour and the Spices. Add the Brandy.
- Finally fold in the Dried Fruit and Nuts.
- Put the mixture into the Cake tin, spread evenly and create a well in the centre.
- Bake for 3.5 hours in a pre-heated oven (150 degrees/300 f or gas mark 2)
- After 1.5 hours cover with brown paper to prevent the Cake from becoming to brown.
- Check the Cake is thoroughly cooked by using a skewer and checking it’s clean when removed.
- When cooled double wrap your cake in brown paper and store upside down in a cool place.
- Feed your cake with 1-2 tbsp of Brandy or Sherry once a week until you are ready to decorate it.