Hearty Beef Casserole
This winter warmer is a great recipe for all the family or at a dinner party, it’s rich flavour is delicious, serve with Mashed Potato and Vegetables of your choice.
- 2 tsp Rubbed Parsley
- 1 heaped tsp Herbs De Provence
- 1/2 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- 600g Braising Steak cut into 4cm chunks
- 8 rashers of Smoked Streaky Bacon Chopped
- 200g Button Mushrooms cut in half
- 1 Tbsp Sunflower Oil if needed
- 10 small Shallots
- 2 Carrots sliced
- 1 Tbsp Plain Flour
- 300ml (1/2 pt) Red Wine
- 300ml (1/2 pt) Beef Stock
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- Fry the Bacon in a frying pan until cooked, remove and transfer to a Casserole dish.
- In the same frying pan quickly fry off the Steak and then transfer to the Casserole dish.
- Now add the Shallots to the frying pan and cook on a lower heat until they begin to brown, add the Carrots and cook for a further 2 minutes. Transfer to the Casserole dish.
- Add the Flour to the frying pan and mix a little of the Red Wine, stir until it is smooth.
- Add the rest of the Red Wine, Stock and Soy Sauce, stir until the mixture boils and starts to thicken.
- Add the Mushrooms and Herbs de Provence, stir for 1-2 minutes and pour into the Casserole dish with everything else.
- Mix well and cover with a lid.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at 160c/gas mark 3 for 2 hours.
- When the time is up sprinkle over the Parsley and serve with Mashed Potato and Vegetables.
Tags: Beef, Beef Casserole, Beef Stock, Braising Steak, Carrots, Cracked Black Pepper, Herbs de Provence, Mashed Potato, Mushrooms, Parsley, Plain Flour, Red Wine, Shallots, Smoked Streaky Bacon, Soy Sauce, Sunflower Oil, Vegetables